Thursday, December 24, 2009

Tater Tots

Okay so there has been some controversy as to whether or not tater tots are truly known as a "junk food." Now I would like to say before you read this that honestly it really probably doesn't matter whether or not tater tots are "junk food" but it's kind of a friendly debate for me :) It's true that tater tots are not healthy for you but if you classify anything that isn't healthy as a "junk food" then there are a lot more foods that should be called "junk foods". Such as mashed potatoes. Here are the nutritional facts for both mashed potatoes and tater tots.

1 cup
Mashed Potato (from Fresh)
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 cup

Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 132
Calories 256

% Daily Values*
Total Fat 14.62g 22%
Saturated Fat 3.349g 17%
Polyunsaturated Fat 3.957g
Monounsaturated Fat 6.552g
Cholesterol 6mg 2%
Sodium 823mg 34%
Potassium 504mg
Total Carbohydrate 27.76g 9%
Dietary Fiber 2.1g 8%
Sugars 4.7g
Protein 4.43g

Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 15%
Calcium 10% Iron 2%

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving
Calories
207
Calories from Fat
108
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
12.0g
18%
Sodium
281mg
12%
Total Carbohydrates
22.0g
7%
Protein
2.0g

As you can see there is more than twice the amount of salt in mashed potatoes than tater tots... but I don't hear anyone calling mashed potatoes "junk food". The fat percentage is higher too. Another fun fact, tater tots aren't always cooked in grease and oil. They can be baked. I would also like to point out that our society has created an obvious distinction between "junk food" and "fast food" and it would seem that tater tots are more of a fast or convenient food than a "junk food".

If you ask any woman or girl to name 25 "junk foods" I can pretty much promise that tater tots would only be on the list to stretch it out. Things like brownies, ice cream, cake, pie, chocolate, soda, popcorn, candies, chips and dips....sweets and common party food would be on that list above tater tots.

In the end I will openly admit that tater tots are not a healthy food, but as far as "junk food" is concerned I can't say without a doubt that they are one. I'm sorry but I can never be convinced. I'm not crazy I'm just way too competitive for Scattergories. I will keep playing however because it's just way too much fun arguing with my friends. You can blame that on my confrontational manor. I hope we can still be friends lol :)

1 comment:

  1. I love love LOVE that your first ever blog post is about tater tots. :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete